Here’s a guide of my favourite things see and do in Melbourne!
We have some friends visiting Melbourne next weekend which has prompted me to write this post.
Plus – I thought it was about time I post about something other than web development for a change.
Things to do
- Walk down Hosier Lane, a cool laneway covered in loads of colourful street art.
- Grab a coffee on Degraves street, a funky laneway packed with lots of small cafes
- People watch at Federation Square, a huge public space opposite Flinders Street Station
- Checkout NGV, right now they have a Van Gogh exhibition and they’ll have Hokusai later this year!
- Hire a bike and ride along the Yarra, it’s mostly flat and a great way to see the city
- Visit the Queen Vic Night Market on Wednesday nights and try all the food (summer or winter)
- Watch some live music or sport (too many awesome venues to name)
- Jump on a tram and checkout the inner suburbs (like Richmond, Collingwood, Fitzroy, South Yarra)
- Head up to one of the small rooftop bars in the CBD (like Bomba, Loop or Goldilocks)
Places to eat
- 1090 Burger – try the 1090 Double and the loaded fries
- Gazi – tasty, good value, Greek food, try everything on the menu
- Cheerio Cafe – my favourite cafe, try the scrambled eggs and ham hock
- Top Paddock – try the ricotta hotcakes but get in early to avoid the wait
- Maker Fine Coffee – it’s a little out of the way but the coffee is amazing
- Ichi Ni Nana – great Japanese food plus there’s a cool rooftop bar above
- Fonda – a small chain of authentic Mexican restaurants, awesome quesadillas
- Stomping Ground Beer Hall – great venue, great food and great beer!
This is really just a small sample of all the awesome things Melbourne has to offer, we’re so lucky to call this place home!