Here’s a bunch of WordPress plugins that I’ve been using on various projects recently.
I try to avoid using WordPress plugins for any features that I could easily code myself, most of the plugins below help with my workflow or clean up the admin for client sites. Some of the plugins below are premium but most have a free version so you can try before you buy ; )
WordPress plugins I’ve recently started using:
- Migrate DB Pro – A must have for pushing and pulling databases between local and remote WordPress installs (plus it has a WP-CLI Addon).
- Uploads by Proxy – Allows you to skip downloading of a /uploads/ directory when working locally. If it can’t find the image locally it’ll check the live site. This can also be done with VVV which I’ll cover in a future post!
- Kraken Image Optimiser – Easily optimise images that are uploaded by clients.
- WP Rocket – Great caching plugin, simple but feature packed (thanks for the tip @jamesbundey).
My all time favourite WP Plugins:
- Advanced Custom Fields Pro – I’ve been using ACF for years and the PRO version is a must have for the types of sites I’m working on.
- Minimal Admin – I’m clearly biased but I use this plugin I wrote to ‘hide non essential wp-admin functionality’.
- Simple Page Ordering – Allow’s drag and drop page / post ordering within the WP Admin.
- Admin Collapse Sub Pages – Cleans up the Admin screen (great if you have lots of pages and sub pages).
- WordPress SEO – Standard SEO Plugin, titles, open graph meta and sitemaps.
- Gravity Forms – Very powerful form plugin.
- Theme Test Drive – Handy if you want to test new themes on an existing install.
- WordPress Backup To Dropbox – Great for backing up large sites.
Some WordPress plugins I use occasionally:
- Public Post Preview – Allows you to share a link to a post (for proofing etc) before it’s published.
- Admin Colour Schemes – Adds additional admin colour schemes I’m a fan of ‘Flat’.
- Eggplant 301 Redirects – easy interface to mange 301 redirects.
- Bulk Page Creator – Use this if you’re working on a new site and need to create a bunch of empty pages quickly.
- NS Automation – to ensure ACF content is included in the WP SEO content analysis statistics & scoring.
Update (5.7.2015), other plugins I’ve used on projects recently:
- Fast Page Switch – quickly navigate between the editing pages in the WP admin.
- ACF Gravity Forms Field – additional field to select a Gravity Form
- ACF Font Awesome Field – nice search field for a font awesome icon
If you have any go to WordPress plugins that I haven’t mentioned hit me up on twitter, @aaronrutley !