I’m stoked that a couple of small patches of mine made it into WordPress 4.4.
At the WordPress Melbourne Meetup Groups contributor day a few weeks ago I found this ticket on Trac under Good First Bugs. The issue was around Select form elements within the Insert Media Model, depending on your language / screen size you wouldn’t be able to see all of the text for the option you selected.
I tested the original patch and found it had a bug in it. I dug into the CSS and ended up creating a patch that tweaked the design of this component to resolve the issue and improve the UI a little.
This small CSS change was a really good first bug to learn about contributing. I’m keen to contribute further to make improvements wherever I can in the future versions of WordPress!