The improvements include:
- Swapping the Lightbox script to Photoswipe, it’s a speedy lightbox script that works well with large & panoramic images on small screens.
- Updating to WordPress 4.2 with support for emoji (look out for emoji in the titles, links and captions of upcoming posts on the travel blog).
- Enabling WP Rocket for page caching and lazy loading of images.
- Adding Animate.scss for a nice ‘Slide In’ CSS animation on page load. Animate.Scss is the Sass port of the popular Animate.css, it’s easy to just include the partials you need to achieve the effects your after. I’m not sure if this is really an improvement, I just wanted to try this library out ; ).
- Setting Pagination to 5 posts per page to speed up load times and the pagination buttons have had a face lift.
- Removing WP SEO in favour of some custom code to generate og:meta tags.
- Removing the Instagram Importer plugin in favour of a custom Instagram Importer plugin that I wrote. My plugin checks the Instagram API for new posts hourly or it can be triggered manually, it saves all the meta data I need and images as featured images.
- Creating a responsive front end form so we can easily create posts from our iPhones without having to login to the WordPress admin area. This form supports anything we post to instagram or we can upload photos from our phone, including panoramas! This is built with the use of ACF and the acf_form function see the screenshot below:
If you’d like to check out our travel blog head over to rutsandbel.com