I was lucky enough to head up to WordCamp Sunshine Coast last weekend, it was a fun few days catching up with & meeting new people in the WordPress Community.
Some of the highlight presentations for me included:
- James’ presentation on using Task Runners like Gulp within custom WordPress themes. I learnt about some useful gulp tasks and about a few different deployment options.
- Bronson’s presentation on Chassis, Debug Bar and Query Monitor. I learnt about the benefits of Chassis over other Vagrant projects like VVV and the benefits of an IDE like PhpStorm.
- Alex’s presentation about the importance of end to end testing & focusing on user experience. I learnt about how important the user interface is for error handling. (I also discovered the handy REST API Console Plugin.)
- Tim’s presentation on a post mortem of a hacked website. I learnt about the best way to handle these situations and some techniques to use to when diving in to discover the root cause.
- Tracy’s presentation on local business challenges & solving them with WordPress. I learnt about structuring data like addresses in a semantic way to get the best results in google.
- Rob’s presentation on the freelancers toolbox. I learnt about how he’s using Trello to manage his client projects & I learnt about handy gmail tool MixMax.
Also – I’m really looking forward to the next WordCamp in Australia which is WordCamp Sydney scheduled for September 24th and 25th !